Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Making a difference on the small scale

In all the discussion in the news media about the Obama administration and the new direction it is taking, I am fascinated by the people he has assembled behind the scenes. Now this may be "the West Wing" nerd in me finally being released and trying to find a counterpart to my favorite characters, but some of the people feel more representative of my generation which is exciting for someone who wants to become more interested in politics. Now I will not state my political beliefs or anything like that, but I just wanted to share a bit about the new speechwriter on board: Jon Favreau.


I just read an article today on the Boston Globe website: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2008/12/21/the_speechwriter_in_chief/ and I am impressed. He's a year younger than I am and just sounds like a guy you would want to be friends with, while at the same time writing brilliant text about the future of our country. In this article, it wasn't necessarily the political side that intrigued me (though the bit about giving Kerry a line during the convention was interesting), rather it was his graduation speech as valedictorian from Holy Cross College. In it he said to his classmates, "Here's some of what we need. Soccer coaches, den mothers, PTA members, neighbors who help you move in and promise to keep in touch when they move you out, friends who come early and stay late, shoulders to cry on, big brothers and sisters, family comedians, T-ball umpires, letter-to-the-editor authors, voters who care about any issue from traffic lights and tax reform to potholes and peace on earth, organizers and activists, critics and supporters, voices for those who are having trouble getting theirs heard, summertime porch-sitters with special degrees in talking about everything and nothing until the mosquitoes bite, mentors, philanthropists, signature collectors, boo-boo fixers, grocers to the hungry, roofers to the homeless, and believers -- especially believers." Not to wax too poetic, but these words really speak to me. In an economy that keeps getting more grim and in a society where we are becoming increasingly more disconnected, especially as we become more connected to social networking via the Internet and communicating more and more through sites like Facebook and whatnot, I fear that we will not be able to live up to those simple goals Favreau mentions. I adore simplicity and the romance of community, and wish I could be closer to my friends and family. I wish that I had people who lived closer to me that I could sit on the porch with and "shoot the shit" and I wish that I volunteered more. One silver lining out of this economic crisis from the cynic in me is that now we have to embrace simplicity, be creative in our endeavors and really try to connect to one another on homespun levels. More potlucks and game nights and park encounters and just sitting, enjoying the breeze and good company of dedicated folk.



So my question is to anyone reading: want to come over and savor some of the simple, small wonders of life?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

ABSOLUTELY. This is what I struggle with daily. I want to care more about getting ahead and being part of this crazy race to the top...but I don't. I care about getting home to make dinner with Shawn. I care about talking to my mom on the phone a few times a week. And being a good friend, not just someone who you still feel obligated to call friend because you had some good times in college. This is why I miss my Spanish life. Sure, it took forever to get things done there sometimes, but the quality of life couldn't be beat. And we're seeing how far this rat race attitude has gotten our country....

Now I'm all pensive. Geez. :)

magooski said...

Sorry I made you pensive! The country is definitely showing its growing pains. And we all need to embrace those friendships and hold them close and be content together :).

Unknown said...

That's ok. I like thinking.

Since I put myself on such a tight budget, as of the beginning of the year, I've found how unbelievably cheap and fun it is to just hang out with my friends again. Since when did I equate entertainment with spending gobs of money? I guess it comes with age and having a job...somehow I think I have to DO something in order to have fun. It's great just playing cards or staying in for tea and a chat. Silly old Mellie.

Speaking of....tea sometime?

Anonymous said...

Okay, so at first I thought you were talking about the guy from Swingers and I was all, "What?!?" But seriously, that guy is cool. Obama's inauguration speech apparently won Mike over (he wasn't a huge fan before, but I still made him vote for him).

Um, yeah, if it didn't take me 3 hours to see you, I would totally hang out. Especially since I have a lot of free time on my hand these days. :)

magooski said...

Carmel - yes to tea! And yes to scones with tea! I have the cutest teapot I never get to use.
Ellen - c'mon, three hours is nothing! You are coming down for Jenn's weekend in March right? right..... :)....

Unknown said...

What the hell do you have to do anyway, Ellen?? Find a job? Oooh... Plan a wedding?? Pssh. Whatever. You can blow that stuff off.

Mmm...scones. Yes Yes! I have this great tea from Teavana that I haven't used yet because it's loose and I don't have a teaball thingy. That sounds wrong, but it's true.

magooski said...

Tea...ball. Ha. I used to have a tea ball thing, but it leaked tea. Not very effective. Maybe some good bags you can stuff yourself?
Wow, there is something wrong with almost everything I just said there.

Jason Quigley said...

I enjoy a good tea bag stuffing from time to time. Hey-ooo!

ok, in all seriousness, I love this post Megs. It's a good reminder to keep things in perspective and remember what's important in life. Work is not (unless you're one of those freaks who actually enjoys their job). Facebook is not. Quality time with neighbors, friends and family is. Of course, here we are still discussing it online, which is kind of ironic. Damn you internet.

simzgirl said...

Amazing post, Megan. I love the idea of meals with lots of friends and casual game nights. As you remember, I use to do it weekly! ;) I've even tried to reinstate it, but since I'm no longer willing to host every time, it hasn't happened. But if you find a way, you know I will be there...with my family in tow! :D

DarkTrail said...

Well I won't "damn the internet" as it actually gives a chance to keep up on Megan and Jason as they live at a distance that I can't "shoot the shit" with them as much as I'd like, so it is a nice way to at least see them from afar.

Now with this new administration, I'll sit by the sidelines and see what happens. I have to say I want him to succeed as if he doesn't, we all lose. Any other comments I'll keep to myself.

As for "community", it is essential to be part of it, and to contribute what you can. Every little bit counts. I know I do my part with teaching, and it's what I do for a living, but it is the little things you do for them, when class is over that they take into their heads and remember.

As for the economy, here in California, it is going to get worse, so I guess we'll brace in, and hope for the best, but cassie and I still try and find time to do something fun form time to time, or else things much more bleak.

Great topic Megan!

magooski said...

Carrie, I'm willing too...all I got to do is get a bigger table :). Or just keep having smaller numbers over. I loved the Wednesday night dinners....you guys are so nice and generous. We can always make them, wherever they are, more potluck oriented?