Monday, October 02, 2006

realities blending and toy terriers

Do you ever have those moments when your work persona bleeds over into your "real" persona (and I definitely, as a teacher, have two vastly different personas)? For example, I was discussing the Poe story "The Masque of the Red Death" with my little freshmen, and I asked, who is the Red Death? The answer I got back was Jason. I'm pretty sure they're thinking of the Friday the 13th villian, but my first thought is, my husband? I didn't say that - thank goodness - but then one kid says, no, let's call the Red Death Kimberly. Now wait a minute.....it's getting too freaky in here! First the husband, then the best friend? I blurt out - that's my best friend's name, which always prompts strange comments, like:
You have a best friend? and her name is kimberly? (duh - just said that!)
Do you call her Kimber? (no)
Kimbo? (why yes I do)
That's weird you have a friend named Kimberly (why? it's weird that you're talking right now....)
and the topper - do you call her Kim-Kim?
To which I snidely retorted - she's not a toy terrier. End of conversation and laughter reigns again in the classroom.

But why those two names? Perhaps just to freak me out or a strange coincidence, but still. I don't like when my real life infiltrates the classroom. It's almost as if the kiddos are at home with me and that's just bizzare. What are they going to ask me tomorrow......I hope it's not about the dead body in the basement, because that will be awkward :).

3 comments:

simzgirl said...

Have you ever mentioned Jason or Kimberly in class before? Maybe they are just trying to freak you out. Or maybe it's just a random coincidence. Either way, it is a tad eerie.

magooski said...

not to my knowledge....yes, very eerie!

Anonymous said...

or...maybe I am the jason from friday the 13th....muahahahahahaaaa