Tuesday, September 26, 2006

the allergies! the kiddos! the horror!

Ah, fall. We have such a love/hate relationship. You bring me such sweet things like leaf changes, good smells, the prospect of baking every single pumpkin recipe I can find, the running mantra of "holidays are comin', holidays are coming", long sleeves, and the need to indulge my stay-at-home tendencies with a little movie watching. I get so excited when fall starts to appear I almost feel giddy (and for a girl who is hard to giddy-fy, that's impressive).
And then tragedy strikes. Not only does school begin to get too taxing for my summer drenched mind (thesis statement - how the hell do I know what that is? and grammar rules? look it up yourselves, you lazy sons of....), but the falling leaves, last blooms, and smell in the air all lead to the dreaded allergies. One minute, I'm okay, ready to face the world and willing to help others learn. The next, a snotty (excuse me if that's gross, but it's true) plugged mess who can barely walk straight, let alone drive and function. All combined with the inevitable first cold of the year that plagues everyone and the general feeling of tiredness that accompanies the first month back to teaching leaves me a tad tired and ready to give it all up, join the circus, quit that, and become a professional soap watcher. Or even professional housewife? [on a side note - I did offer a certain husband the prospect of me staying home forever only to be the best housewife ever in aprons, thigh-highs and the occasional french maid outfit......jury's still out on that one......;)]
But alas, I must toil my days with the kiddos and toil until the allergies/first colds cease. At least when I'm all healed, I can bake some kick-ass pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and break out the spiced apple cider! Ah fall, at least I still have you.......

1 comment:

simzgirl said...

Oh how I love all things fall. The cool, crisp breeze, sweaters, hot beverages, lighting fires in the wood stove, and of course, all things pumpkin.

Sorry you get allergies. That sucks. Although I am either experiencing some of that myself today or am getting that dreaded first cold of the season. Either way: yuck!